Saturday, January 07, 2006

Good as New

I would like to say that I came into work today refreshed from two days off, and tackled the job with vim and vigor, but it would not be true.

I switched the gear into my ambulance, which was immaculate inside, but coated with brown dirt all over the outside. Instead of washing it, I went and lay down for twenty minutes, then got a call. An old woman in a group home slipped and hit her knee. She kept muttering I broke my leg I broke my leg, so they called us, but she didn't break her leg. We stood her up, said your leg is good as new. She nodded, seemed pleased, and then puttered away chanting good as new, good as new.

We came back to the bay, and I took a long look at the dirty ambulance and decided I needed to wash it right then. It was that dirty.

Later we did a call for a man who was tired and then one for a woman feeling weak. I never found out what was wrong with the man -- I think it was new onset of afib, but I found out about the woman, which was an unusual story. I have taken her in often in the past -- she is very needy and in poor health. She said she hurt all over and had not been feeling well for two weeks. Her assessment was unremarkable. Lungs were slightly decreased. Her SAT was 94-95 on room air. Dsypnea only on exertion. At the hospital, a doctor put in an order for a CAT scan of the patient in one room, but he wrote down the wrong room number so she got the scan. It showed she had multiple bilateral PEs. Pretty amazing.

Later did a seizure call. Seizure history, takes dilantin, but didn't take it today, had a seizure.

My relief is in and I am off to the hospital's Holiday party.

I can't stay out too late because I am back tomorrow and I really would like to go at the job with vigor. Actually I would like to lay on the couch all afternoon and watch the football games.