Friday, January 06, 2006

The Job (A) and (B)

Resisted the siren call of the pager with its constant buzzing announcing open shifts.

Today other than a short errand this morning, I did not leave the house. I spent just about the whole day writing -- or rather going through the first year of this blog -- trying to edit it to see if it is worth turning into a book. I had two reactions.

A). It was mind numbing reading over the entries about bad dispatching, stupid nursing homes, idiotic calls, and all the other daily bitches of the job. I think I just need to face it. The job is what it is and all that crap comes with it. I should expect it. All jobs have their routine BS and drawbacks you have to put up with. I shouldn't let it get to me as much as it does.

B) The real gems in here -- the interesting parts, what makes the job worthwhile are the people you encounter, the situations. Being a paramedic is a privledge. What I have seen in the last year -- in any year as a medic -- is really remarkable. For all we paramedics bitch about the dumb and ridiculous, we also have a front row seat to life, to heartache, joy and to miracles.

That's the part I want to write about, the part I want to record.