Thursday, January 27, 2005

Six Minutes To

After busting it for the last three days in the city, I get my suburb shift and do nothing all day......until six minutes to go in my shift.

Diabetic with low blood sugar at a local industry. I give her 25 grams of D50 IV, get her back to normal, and say, "Would you like us to take you to the hospital?"

"Yes," she says.

"OR," I say, "You could eat a sandwich and have someone watch you and if you start to feel badly again, then call us back and we'll take you to the hospital then."

"Okay," she says.

All right.

Now, it wasn't that it was after my crew change that I took the refusal. If she really needed to go to the hospital, I would have insisted. But I have felt lately, a little creep in my standards as the clock approaches the going home hour, particuarly with all the hours I've been working. I want to get home.

But I need to stay vigilant.