Sunday, January 23, 2005

Back to Sleep

Spent the night at the ambulance barn so I wouldn't have to drive to work in the morning. About ten o'clock last night I was sound asleep when the radio identifier went off, then I heard the dispatcher call us.

I swore and started to get up, and then realized. Wait a minute, I'm not on duty. I don't have to go anywehere. The on duty crew had to get up and go out into the blizzard for a bleeding penis. A couple hours later, they went out again for a bleeding rear end. I slept like a baby.

The observer who was on with us yesterday was in when I got up. Somehow he convinced his father to drive him through the blizzard so he could ride with us. The roads were pretty bad he said.

So far we've only gone out once today for a lady feeling dizzy. We were lucky she was young and able to walk well, so we helped out through the snow drifts. Hopefully we won't have to do any bad calls that require the stretcher. Not many drives or walks are plowed. About 16 inches have fallen according to the weather.

***

Ended the shift with only two calls. We did an unconcious diabetic with a sugar of 20. She woke up with an amp of D50. She'd been having trouble over the last few days with hypoglycemic episodes with no explanation, so we had to take her in. We were just about to start carrying her across the snowcovered yard when their plough driver showed up and plowed the drive.

I spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping in front of the TV, semi-watching the Eagles-Falcons NFC Championship game.