Sunday, May 07, 2006

Always

Started with a COPD/?respiratory infection. Gave her a combivent and she was much improved. I used the capnography. She only had a slight shark fin to start, but it did level off.

Next call was a refusal for an old man who fell due to poor balance.

Then we did an unresponsive diabetic. I've been there many times before. Old 93 year old man just doesn't eat much anymore. He has the tiniest little wife who is always glad to see me. He is always in bed. He is a hard stick, but I always get it on my second or third try. Today I got a 24 in the hand. He wakes up slow. I always ask him if he recognizes the pretty lady standing next to me. He always says "That's my wife." She always says, "he's back to himself again." Today when he told my partner he was 93, my partner says he is shocked he is so old. Today I say, "93? Then how did you get such a young wife?" She is likely in her 80's. "Now I remember why I like you," the wife says. "Cradle robber!" I say. "Me?" he says.
As we leave the wife says as she always says, "Well I hope to see you again, but not under these circumstances." I agree with her that I hope so too. But likely, I will see her again under the same circumstances, and the call will go the same as it always goes.