Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Excited

I used to hate difficulty breathing calls. I get them often in the suburban town. usually first thing in the morning at one of the nursing homes. A bad COPD or pnemonia. But now I like them because I get the chance to use capnography -- the chance to learn something new.

Started off with a nonverbal former stroke patient DNR/DNI with a fever of 103.4 in respiratory distress. He had a good capnography wave form with a number in the high twenties. Not that exciting, but it just adds another frame of reference for me.

The other call was for a young woman who rolled her car. She was just banged up, but we still c-spined her and took her in for evaluation.

I was tired. I went to the gym again at 4 A.M. I'm getting excited about it again. I have a tendency to get really excited about things and then just really get into them. That's how I became a paramedic, how I became a writer, how I got into poker, for awhile I was a gym rat and hope to be again, and now how I am getting into capnography. I'm just really excited about it.

Check it:

Capnography for Paramedics