Saturday, May 06, 2006

Back to Back X 7

8 transports, including 7 back to back, which is a lot for a suburban town where the transports are longer than the city. Making matters worse for me today -- I had little sleep, the pollen is killing me. I can't stop rubbing my eyes -- the night medic gave me some benadryl to take. Anything to stop the itching. So now here my eyes are swelling shut from the pollen, they are closing because of the benadryl, plus I am natuarly squinting because of the bright sun -- all the awhile the calls are nonstop.I will post about the day soon, but right now I need to take a little nap. I have never had allergies this bad. The news said Hartford is the worst pollen in the nation right now. All the cars are yellow. The wind is blowing and you see all these mini Tasmanian Devil twisters of pollen swirling everywhere.

The day started off okay -- no calls for the first two hours, but instead of sleeping, I am working on mt Capnography project.

See:

Ten Things Every Paramedic Should Know About Capnography

Then at eight no relief comes in for the night EMT, so she agrees to stay until we can get someone. Then the tones sound and we're off:

1. 83 year old with dsypnea and chest pain
2. 68 year old fell and broke wrist
3. 86 year old with pnemonia and dehydration

We are just about back to the base when we are sent for

4. 16 year old eight months pregant with side pain

We swing by the base on the way, drop off the night EMT and pick up my preceptee. We contact the medical EMD dispatch and they tell us, "Immentent delievery, baby is halfway out." I am flying down the road, my preceptee is saying he can't find the OB kit, I am trying to tell him where it it. I go flying past the turn, not because I didn't know where it was but because I am going to fast. Then we get there. No immenent delivery, just a 16 year old with a pain in her side.

5. 82 year old with a question of slurred speech for a day
6. 85 year old with soreness from prior day fall.

On scene the PD is very upset because this is the third "Code Three" we have gone to that has been passed to us from the commerical service that has turned out to be a routine transfer. (See 3 and 5, although 3 actually was pretty sick).

7. 50 year old with dizziness

Then we finally, finally get back to our base.

Last call is for:

8. 62 year old with syncope and a question of a couple cocktails and anxiety.

I drive home, have two cold beers, wish I could have four more, but have to be up at 5 in the morning to do it all over again, so I go right to bed.

The end.