Friday, March 24, 2006

Free Pens

The lectures today weren't as good as yesterday.

The first one was the best: The Science Behind EMS by Dr. Bryan Bledsoe. I am a big fan of this guy. He is a former medic, who is on the leading edge of dispelling EMS myths. He talked about permissive hypotension suggesting BP should be kept around 70 for trauma patients and fluid should only be administered if the pressure gets below 40.

The next class was called Clinical Controversies: Technology in Medicine -- Help or Hindrance? This was taught by two doctors, and their message was with each new toy, you have to ask: Does the equipment work? and Does it work for the physiology? Will it impact patient outcome? They also said what we are learning today will no doubt be different tomorrow.

The last class was called Daily Habits of the Clinical Masters. I was hoping for a class to really get me psyched up to be the best medic I can be, but it didn't.

Today was the first day of the EXPO where you could wander among the exhibits and see all the latest gadgets from . You couldn't walk ten feet without seeing another CPR machine. Johnny Gage was there signing photos for $20 a pop -- I believe the money went to a charity. The line was long. I didn't want an autograph, but I wouldn't have minded getting my picture taken with him, but it wasn't set up for that. I did get to play with the Vida-Care Easy IO -- that was very neat. I can see how you could get IV access in just about ten seconds. It can be a life saver in cardiac arrest, although I fear it will be overused in other instances, such as trauma because it is so cool to play with. It also costs about $80 a needle. Overall my impression of the EXPO was somewhat negative. Maybe it was because I was tired. Lots of people trying to make a buck. Everyone wanting to show you stuff. I did grab quite a number of free pens.

I went to a seafood buffet and then walked up that big old hill to the hotel.


Easy IO