Thursday, September 08, 2005

People and Stuff

Well I'm at work and have a computer so I feel attached to the world again. Tomorrow I am hoping my partner out here will be able to take a look at my computer and fix it -- in addition to saving my files.

I feel bad whinning about being without a computer and having to pay a couple grand for some new front teeth in light of the situation down on the Bayou. It all demands a certain perspective.

I just read an excellent column from USA Today

"Stuff" Doesn't Matter

I mentioned before that I brought a lot of clothes down to the state armory the other day, and am regoing through my house to find anything I don't truly need that I can donate.

I have been upset by the government's priorities in recent years and by its complete bungling of the situation in New Orleans and the area both before and after the hurricane hit. By misusing resources, appointing unqualified people to key posts and just plain not showing needed leadership -- it has failed the American people. But I have to say my faith in the country has been renewed not by the politicians, but by the common men and women of the country. The number of people volunteering and giving freely is staggering, and being down at the armory, you couldn't help but be swept up by it. Clearly the storm has taught us that people matter. I'd like to see this lesson passed on beyond the moment and imbedded in our government policies permanently.

Here's a few other editorials and articles that I have found interesting.

New Orleans Growing Danger -- an article from the Philidelphia Inquirer last October forecasting the threat and possible damage from a killer hurricane.

New Orleans Crisis Shames Americans -- an early (September 4) BBC view of the crisis.

United States of Shame -- a scathing indictment of the government's bungling.

Americans Give Record Amounts -- an account of American's generosity.

Before the Flood -- a column about how Americans responded to the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake.

***

Two calls so far today. A syncope that turned into an AMA refusal, and a nursing home chest pain that seemed to be skeletal. The memorable part of the call came for me was the interaction between one of my partners and the patient. On Thursdays one of the people I work with is a wonderful 78 year old grandmother with bad hips who is sceduled to get another hip replacement next week so this could be her last call. The patient was a 50 year old double amputee, who used to be a big time colleg e football player and still has a strong upper body, residual from his youth and maintained by using his wheelchair. His back hurt and he was only comfortable on his side, so my partner asked him where he hurt and she started rubbing his back there. He basically rested his head in her lap and moaned softly while she rubbed his back. A 78 year old Italian lady who can barely walk herself and a tough guy from the inner city, who's had more than his share of hardluck. I'll never be a cynic when it comes to believeing in the inherent kindness of human beings.

***

Did a diabetic with a blood sugar of 25. Took an amp of D50, and then 12.5 grams of D10 (D50 in a 250cc bag of NS -- pt got 125 cc) and he was back to normal by the time we got to the hospital.

***

I just read a very interesting and thoughtful article in the morning paper, which I hadn't got to until now. The basic premise is that where have all these kind souls(donating clothes, food, and shelter) been when in our own city people are drowning in poverty. Shelters are overflowing, people are homeless and needy here.

"It's easier to drop off a check, a case of water or a few bags of diapers for the victims in New Orleans and feel like we did our part. Easier to avert our eyes when the calamity is just the daily drip, drip, drip of poverty all around us."

Sort of puts a damper on my self-congratulatory clothing donation at the armory. The writer has a point.

Drowning in Poverty Closer to Home