Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Weight

Some days it seems all your patients are huge. Today was one of those days. They were big today -- no 400-500 pound monsters, but some big heavy people. Started off with a diaylsis patient. They reguarly send two crews for this guy. It was the first time I had done him, and I didn't think he needed two crews. He was big -- maybe 350, but my partner and I could have handled him without the help. I was a little annoyed they sent a basic unit to help us. I felt like saying why don't you have the basic crew do the transfer and we can help them while staying available.

Next we got sent completey across two towns to do another basic transfer. A big crabby lady at a nursing home who we had to take to the hospital for an MRI. At the MRI, she was complaining about how they told her she couldn't eat before the MRI and why was that? She said she didn't like to be denied food. They asked her a bunch of questions, including how much did she weigh. She said 260. My partner and I were shaking our heads. 300 easy, I thought.

We had a nursing home guy with a fever and he was easily 280 and he only had one leg.

We had to take a fifteen year old home from the hospital, and she was probably 250, and we had to carry her up the stairs into her house. Carry-ups are the worst.

No carrydown's today, but it seemed all day we were doing deadlifts lifting the stretcher from the low position to the high, then doing sheet pulls from one bed to the next.

Our day ended helping another crew do I carry up. I took all the weight on the bottom.

We also did a maternity, a lethargic nursing home patient with dementia, and were cancelled from a call where a two hundred pound ten year old, put a battery up his nose, but it fell out when his three hundred pound mom shook him.