Friday, February 18, 2005

My Sunshine/The Scream

Again, as soon as I get to work, there is a call. A syncope. Gorgeous modern house on the north side of town, with a beautiful view of the sun coming up over the meadow and woods.

***

Didn't do another call until almost one -- a three year-old who hit his head. The cops were questioning the mother when we got there, but I am sure it was an accident. The kid just banged his head. He didn't lose conciousness -- he just hurt when he moved his head. His mother had to be six two and weighing well over four hundred pounds -- she had a big belly hanging out under her tee-shirt and wore yellow fuzzy duck slippers. She was cuddling the little boy to her when I came in like he was a tiny baby doll. When we took him in the ambulance, she started singing to him as tears flowed down her cheeks. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine (sob) you make me happy when times are grey (sob sob) You never know dear how much I love you, don't take my sunshine away. (sob) Sing it with me now little one... You are my sunshine...

Her voice was high and scratchy. I was worried if she fell forward, she was going to crush the little boy. He looked very scared, laying all bundled up on the backboard holding his teddy bear.

"Who does your monmmy love most in the world?"

"Me," he said, and smiled.

"Who's my daddy?" she said to him.

"Me," he said in a soft quiet voice.

"That's right," she said. "I will always be with you."


***


Nancy is an ER nurse in her forties. She always looks harried. She has a right to be. The ER nurses at the city hospitals are without a doubt the hardest working people I have ever seen, they are like an overflowing assembly line worker, who manages to stay at their post, even though the line is moving way too fast to control. Nancy walks around with one hand on her cheek and her mouth open, this look of astonishment and horror on her face. She reminds me of an early draft of Edward Munch's "The Scream" -- a draft never seen by the public. It is the screamer not quite ready to scream, but on his way. He only has the one hand on his cheek. But you know its only a matter of time before it gets there and the lasting scream happens. Just a matter of time.

Here's a link to the scream:

http://www.edvard-munch.com/gallery/anxiety/scream.htm


***

Ended up the day with an old woman dizzy and vomiting. Took her to City. Nancy wasn't happy. The ER was packed. I almost sang "You are My Sunshine" to cheer her up.