Thursday, February 17, 2005

Praise Be

Come into work, and as soon as I walk in the door, we get called for a rollover. Lady in a SUV rolled completely off the road, went through a thicket of trees, landed on her side in someone's front yard. I get there and ask her if she's okay.

"Yes, I am, I had the lord with me."

"Any head or neck pain?"

"Nope, the lord was there."

"Back pain?"

"Nope."

"Did you get knocked out?"

"No, the lord was watching over me."

"Did you have your seat belt on?"

"The lord, praise be, he strapped me in."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"The Lord made sure."

"You don't want to go to the hospital."

"No, I'm fine, praise be the lord."

"Okay." I get her to sign a refusal, and think about asking if she would like the Lord to sign as the witness.

My partner and I head back to the base. He remarks how lucky the lady was.

I tell him what the lady told me.

"What caused the accident?" he asks.

"I don't know. I think maybe the Lord nodded off for a moment in the passenger seat."

"He woke up in time though."

"Yeah, I guess you could say that."


***

The Lord or whoever gives me the rest of the day off. Nothing for eleven hours.

Praise be.