Monday, February 14, 2005

Old and Tired

Worked ten hours in the city today, and by the end I was beat down tired. Nothing out of the ordinary.

A thirty year old girl drug addict vomiting. She had just been released from the hospital for the same complaint. I drove and since she'd told me she'd just gotten out of the one hospital, I drove back there as it was only a couple blocks away. When I came around and opened the back doors up, my partner said, she wanted to to go to the other hospital. I just said, they have all your records of recent treatment here, and pulled the stretcher out. She didn't argue. They put her in the waiting room.

We did an old lady who the visiting nurse saw, called an ambulance for, then left without telling her or her son why? She said, she was okay, she just was having a hard time getting around.

We did a call for an 88 year old woman who the family said kept falling asleep all the time. She fell asleep on me in the back. I'd nudge her and she'd wake up and we'd continue our conversation. She was a cute old thing, on 02 all the time for her respiratory problems. My partner asked me what I thought was wrong with her. "She's old and tired," I said. "Her body just wants to sleep."

A regular dialysis transfer patient.

A round trip doctor's office visit for a guy from a nursing home who's ear was bleeding from a tumor.

I was lucky to get a half hour nap late in the afternoon in the back of the ambulance.

I went home and crashed.

Working too much.