Saturday, February 26, 2005

Anthropophagi

an•thro•poph•a•gi -- Pronunciation: (an"thru-pof'u-jī", -gī").

***

We get called to an address and told to wait for the cops. There is a dead body in the house and there are dogs.

The cops ask us for masks. Evidently there is a stink.We only have three masks. I let the two officers and my partner have them. I have learned over the years how to breathe so the smell doesn't get to me.

The officer opens the door. A little white dog meets us. I notice a red stain on his cheek.

We start to walk through the house. I see a bigger larger dog dart quickly across my line of vision, then dissappear. The floor is covered with dog poops. They have been alone for several days at least.

The officer checks each room as we go. I am starting to recognize the house. "I've been here before," I say now. "There is a woman who lives here. Her bedroom is down this way."

Stepping over the poops, I lead the officer to the back bedroom where we find an extra from Raiders of the Lost Arc lying semi naked across the mattress. Her hair has been ripped out, her face eaten off. You basically see a skeleton face on a dead body. I can't bear to look. I remembered how pretty her eyes were.

I notate the time, then leave the room.

Later an officer holds a pole with a loop on the end, which he is hoping to put over the neck of the bigger dog who growls at him. They appear to be at a standoff. The officer is not the regular dog officer. He looks very nervous. Another officer tries to tempt the dog with a biscuit.

The dog isn’t interested in the biscuit.

***

Did a couple falls, including one at 9:30, so since she needed morphine, I ended up not getting out of work till past 11.

***

an•thro•poph•a•gi Pronunciation: (an"thru-pof'u-jī", -gī"), eaters of human flesh.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House