Sunday, January 29, 2006

Tomorrow

Quiet morning, turned into a busy afternoon. A nursing home patient bleeding from the penis, an elderly woman who fell and broke her hip, and a fifty year old woman with a history of colitis having severe abdominal pain.

Last call came in 15 minutes before crew change so I punched out an hour late.

I'd much rather have a slow morning and a busy afternoon, then the other around. I got some rest, did some writing, had lunch, then before I could get bored, we were out and working.

I didn't have my preceptee today because my shifts were already filled with members of the volunteer ambulance. The three calls weren't challenging, but it made me remember how intimated I was when I first started. Now, where there are still calls that rattle me, for the most part, I glide through so many of them. I have a routine that works for me. I'm comfortable in my job.

But how good a thing is that? Is it time to congratulate myself? Is it time to quit? Is it time to look in the mirror and ask myself who I am kidding? Is it time to get the books back out or take a class? Should I be looking over my shoulder? Or should I be looking ahead?

I don't know the answers.

I do know I did a good job today. But tomorrow I will have to prove myself all over again.