Saturday, November 26, 2005

Checked Out

Cold -- two days after the snow fall and the snow is still on the ground.

Did a call at a nursing home for a fifty-year old woman with a TBI whose trach got pulled out. She was stable. We just needed to take her in so they could put a new metal piece in the hole in her neck. I guess she was hit by a car in September and suffered very severe injuries. She couldn't talk, and only looked to one side, and could only move one arm. I think it was with that arm that she grabbed her trach and pulled it out. I tried looking up the accident on the internet to see if I could learn more about who she was but I wasn't able to come up with anything.

Did an old man who fell, wasn't hurt, but had such poor balance, we had to take him in to get checked out. He had tried walking back up the stairs to show me he was okay, but I had to stop him beacuse he was about to fall over backwards. I ended up picking him up and carrying him out to the stretcher. He was heavier than he looked and I had to str4uggle with him. I think part of it was I haven't been as regular in the gymn as I was and am not as strong as I was.

Last call was for a pregnant woman in a minor motor vehicle. She wasn't hurt, but was very upset and just wanted to get checked anyway. We left her in the waiting room in a wheel chair.