Friday, November 18, 2005

John Henry Versus the Steamdrill

Only two BLS calls so far. A motor vehicle and a woman with a cough.

**

I wrote a letter to the head of the service commending the student who rode with me yesterday. I would really like to see him get through the EMT class and enter the field. I think he's got the bug already. Nothing like doing well on a good trauma to get a young person excited about the potential job. Action. Adreneline. Saving lives.

**

Read a news story about how the Autopulse -- the CPR machine did not fare well in clinical trials against human CPR and was quite shocked because I feel CPR in often performed quite poorly. In the story they speculate why the machine did so badly. One reason they didn't give which I think might be valid is the humans probably felt challenged and worked extra hard at it, sort of like John Henry versus the steamdrill.

Autopulse

Medics Do Better Than Machines at CPR

**

Ended the day with an old woman feeling light-headed.