Thursday, October 13, 2005

Syncope

Didn't get too much sleep last night. This morning as I am driving into work, the ambulance is pulling out of the barn, so we did a quick medic switch and I went to the diabetic at the nursing home. 98 year old lady with a blood sugar of 40. DNR. We gave her some D50 and she woke up, then I asked the nurse if we could call the Dr. and see if he still wanted her transported seeing as she was back to normal and was a DNR. She called the Dr. and he said no transport. I told them to call again if they needed us.

I think about laying down right away, but I now have access to a decent computer so I write my yesterday's blog entry, and catchup on my email, and surf some internet sites I have been unable to check while my good home computer is broken.

When I finally lay down to catch a wink, the tone goes off. Old guy with Alzheimer's fell, needs help getting up. Get back to the barn, another old guy with Alzheimer's fell -- this time there was question of syncope. We couldn't get his wife to let us take him. We leave, and just as we get to the barn, we get called back on a priority. The guy has syncoped again. This time we take him in. As we head back to the barn, we get another call -- another syncope -- this time at a synagogue. We take the patient in.

On the way back to the barn I keep falling asleep in the front passenger seat. My head dropping suddenly, then me snapping awake. And so it goes.

I lay down, five minutes later, the tones go again. A syncope at a doctor's office. I think maybe if I syncopize myself, maybe I can lay down.

Around four-thirty, I finally lay down on the couch and put my feet up. Wake up it's time to punch out.

Tonight I think I am going to pick up a pizza and a video and just take it easy in front of the TV. It's been a long time since I have done that.