Monday, June 06, 2005

Eats

Five calls today -- a woman with diarrea, vomiting, facial numbness, body pain and an inability to see out of her right eye or hear out of her right ear, a minor MVA, a psych feeling anxious, a person with blood in their stool, and a transfer.

The first woman was a psych too. She had equal grip strength, no arm drift, no slured speech and no facial droop. I stuck her with an IV in her arm, and to hear her hollar and moan. I had to try hard not to keep from laughing. I apologized for hurting her, I said, but I've never really heard anyone make quite so much noise.

"But it hurt," she said, and put on a pout like a four year old. She was on lots of depression meds. I think it turned out she had a sinus infection.

My culinary highlight of the day was a cubanito, a sandwich in a fresh made baggette, ham, pork and cheese, toasted. I asked my partner how much she thought it cost. Four dollars, she said. $1.25. I had been to this bakery a number of years ago when my partner that day, a Hispanic guy went in and bought one and told me it was only a $1. When I was at the airport in Santo Domingo I had a sandwich with proscioto and cheese on the same kind of fresh made roll, and I remembered this place, so today I went in and bought one again. Outstanding.

Much of my day revolves around eating. I try to eat a small meal every two hours. I should write a Medic's guide to the city's best take out eats.