Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Someday

Had the day off, which was a good thing because my back was stiff. Oh Lord. I don't know whether is was from three days of sitting in the ambulance for 12 hours or from the last two days working with a woman half my size, and having to overcompensate on the lifts or just plain old age and being out of the gymn, not stretching and maybe my tight hamstrings causing a pull in the lower back.

I emptied the water in my hot tub, and refilled with clean water, then heated it up to 102, and sat in there with the jets on my back and neck, and a cold Presidente in my hand, but it did help some.

And it wasn't like I was completely disabled. I did a lot of house and yard work -- everything except that kitchen floor that is going to require me to get down on my knees. I would have, but I spend a good amount of time, doing that weeding the back patio.

I cut the lawn the other day as night was falling and so left several patches of uncut grass I had to touch up. I also mixed some total vegetation killer in a watering bucket and spread it against my house all along the sides, and then around the mailbox. My goal every year is to kill more grass so there is less to mow.

Having a house is a bit of a trial, but it makes me feel like I belong to society. If I was living in a $500 a month efficiency in Hartford, coming home at night to a dark room, and having to hear the neighbors fighting and worried about getting mugged everytime I went out, well, that wouldn't be a good thing.

Someday I will retire.