Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Establishment/My EMT Assistant

Had my monthly regional council meetings today. We passed out the final version of the new protocols. Then I discussed a memo I wrote outlining the revision process for the next go around, along with ideas about how we could implement some changes quicker. One of the points in the memo was about how to increase provider input.

When I first joined the committee, I found myself saying, no one in the field knows what we do. Just because we do something or pass a policy, doesn't mean everyone knows. My job was to represent the field and see that paramedic voices were heard. A couple weeks ago I was in the EMS room at one of the hospitals talking with the EMS coordinator, when a paramedic began complaining to him that the protocol process was held to close to the vest and the provider input needed to be solicited, the committee needed to listen to people in the street.

I got a little agitated about it. I have always gone out of my way to gather input and do my best to represent the field, but here I was now several years later, the unknown subject of my old complaint. Just because I knew what was going on, didn't mean all the medics in the street knew what was going on. In a way, I have become the establishment. So, anyway, I will make a big effort to increase outreach for the next go around.

We also talked about combining our protocols, BLS, Intermediate and Medic into one book, which, although it will be a lot of work, makes sense.

***

Continued to make preparations for my trip. There will be 29 of us going. 5 surgeons, 2 residents, 3 nurse anesthatists, 8 nurses, 3 surgical/OR techs, 3, general helpers, 3 translators, 1 paramedic (Me) and 1 EMT.

What I will do, I don't know yet. I'm happy to do anything. Give me a mop and I will sweep the floor. Or give me a mop and I will give it to my EMT assistant and tell him to sweep the floor. (Just kidding).

The organization is called
Medical Ministries International.

They do similar trips all over the world. While it is a Christian organization, I was not required to show them my church attendence record when applying. Under describe your faith, I just wrote, "I like to help people." I have always wanted to do something like this, and am thrilled to have the opportunity.