Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Magic Fingers

Met one of my EMS partners at the gym before work and we did upper body training -- chest, back, shoulders, arms. It helps to have a workout partner, though I am finding when I workout with someone else I tend to overdo it a little.

After our first two calls, a lady with pnemonia, then a transfer, we were posted at the west end of town. I went in the back of the ambulance and lay down to stretch out. We were in the old rig they always give me, and it was great with the diessel rocking the ambulance, laying on the bench seat was like being on a vibrating magic fingers mattress without having to put a quarter in the slot. A half hour later, I felt much better.

Did five calls all told. A migrane, a good motor vehicle, where we were the third car in, and a drunk.

At the motor vehicle, I was sent to the car where the patient was just having neck and back pain after being rear-ended -- the other two patients from the other cars went ALS Lights and Sirens to the trauma room. I had the stretcher and was trying to cross the intersection to get to the car. A cop finally saw me, and held his hand up to stop traffic, then looked at me and waved me through. I just stood there, and he got really impatient. "Come on already," he seemed to be saying. I pointed behind him. While he still had his hand up stopping traffic, because he was looking at me and not at them, they were strill going. He finally saw that and got pissed and started yelling at the cars. We finally were able to cross.

The drunk was a regular. There were two empty vodka pints on the sidewalk next to him, another in his back pocket and a fourth in his vest pocket. He'd gotten out of the hospital detox the night before and still had his hospital band on his wrist. We brought him back.