Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Retirement

I'm in for a 16 hour shift. Its snowing, three or four inches down already. This afternoon I went to my monthly regional metings. After the first meeting we were taking about how people in the field are underpaid and some were arguing if there were no volunteers, people could make a decent living because towns would be forced to pay to retain people. They were asking about what people made and were shocked when I told them I made over $80,000 as a medic last year. But that's working six days a week, having no life and having to save for my retirement. The company has a 401 K plan in which they contribute 3% of your pay. So all they gave me was $2460. So if I work for 20 years six days a week, they will have given me $49,200. There are police and firefighters who will recieve that much every year for the rest of their lives as part of their pension plan. $49,200 in the bank produces an income of $47 a week.

Why don't I quit whinning and get a real job?

Because I love this one.