Monday, January 10, 2005

Short Term Memory

Worked 12 hours with my preceptee and one of my old regular partners. I think we did five or six calls. Nothing memorable at all. Let's see -- a Hispanic lady with abdominal pain, a disturbed juvenile pscych patient who tried to stab herself with a pencil, a lady with a blood sugar of 500, a pschy transfer back to the nursing home, and another nursing home patient who had a slight fever.

My old partner delighted in telling the preceptee some stories of our old days working together, but when I remembered a great call Wendell and I did a year ago -- a guy who went into v-tack in the back, who I shocked into arrest, then tubed in like 30 seconds, and then after we brought him into the ER and the doctor called him dead, he started breathing again, and then he stopped and the doctor called him dead again and then he started breathing again, hel couldn't remember it. He says his short term memory is going.

The highlight of my preceptee's day was getting a 24 in the arm of the diabetic lady who was close to 400 pounds.

My cold is better.