Saturday, February 12, 2005

Steak Knives and Molecules

Just ordered my 10 year gift steak knives from the internet site. It was very cool. If I was only a five year employee I would have just gotten 6 knives. Instead I got 13 and they are Henkles Knives. Very fine quality. I browsed the gift levels from 5 to 40. The gifts get progressively ritzier. I am already eyeing the 15 year award. If I had to pick now it would be between the cusinart food proccesor/blender and the 3 piece luggage set.

Here's the description of my prize: C17. JA Henckels “Everedge” 13-piece serrated stainless steel knife set. Features natural color hardwood block, polypropylene handles and stamped, mirror-polished, stainless-steel, micro-serrated blades. Includes 8" chef’s, 5" tomato, 8" bread, 6" utility, 6" boning, 2 1/2" paring and six 5" steak knives.

Whoo-hoo!

***

Slow so far today. Just a patient with some pus filled abcesses and a lift assist from a regular caller, who occasionally slides out of his wheel chair, and his wife can't lift him back up. Took care of it, no problem.

***

Checked out a prisoner, did a seizure patient, and an asthmatic who a year or so ago I found on the floor not breathing and managed to rescusitate. One of our night medics had the same experience with him. The man has a problem with mucus plugs. He gets one caught. It blocks his airway, he passed out, hits the floor and bradys down. We get there ventilate him, and he starts breathing again. He was not having as nearly a hard time obviously. I gave him a couple of breathing treatments and some fluid to loosen him up.

***

On the way home, I turned the radio on. Saturday night is the worst time to listen to the radio because they have these creepy robot people on who talk about UFOs and other weird shit in this very intellectual self satisfied manner. Here's what they were saying.

The host asks, "What does it feel like to be ripped apart?"

Guest. "Well, it happens very quickly."

Announcer: "How long?"

Guest: "Four hours. First its the stars, then the planets, then molecules."

Announcer: "That quick? Molecules, huh?"

Guest: "Yes, once it starts the unniverse turns into an endless soup of mindless radioactivity. Just a lot of molecules."

Announcer: "Hmm, interesting."

Guest: "Oh course it's very theroetical."

Announcer: But then again, it reminds me, I heard just the other day, a news account, the ice caps, previously assumed to be stable, were found to be melting. The operative word, previoucly assumed."

Guest: "Yes, yes, exactly."

I turned the radio off. Freaks.

***

That night I have a dream about my steak knives floating in space like astronaunts, just my steak knifes and little molecules of the remains of life on earth.