Saturday, March 11, 2006

Paramedic Workout

Working a Saturday 16 hour shift in the suburbs. The base is quiet today as the class is out helping with a practical exam before they take their state exam. We've been out three times. Started off at the nursing home for the trached patient in respiratory distress. By the time we had gotten there she was doing fine. I've taken her in many times. She gets a mucas plug, desats, they suction her, she's better, we still end up taking her in. Later we did two refusals -- a diabetic who was out of chemstrips and feeling a little woozy. We checked his sugar - 67 -- and had him eat a sandwich before he went out to dialysis. Last refusal was for a woman in a grocery store, who the manager said was short of breath. He called us, she heard that and bolted. The cops stopped her in the parking lot. She was already in the car. Great big woman on 02. I offered to take her in, she said her husband would take her there now, and then they took off.

***

Getting bored. I went out into the bay and came up with the following workout:

The Paramedic Workout

Walk Around Block/Light Stretch

Superset

A. Monitor Stepup/Monitor Upright Row 2 Sets of 12 Reps

Using the life pack 12, I stepped from the ground onto the back of the ambulance, then back down 12 times, followed immediately by 12 upright rows with right arm, 12 with left, then repeat.

B. Monitor Lunge 12 Steps holding in right arm, then 12 steps holding monitor in left

C. Monitor Bent over Row 2 Sets 10 reps each arm

D. Monitor Squat 2 Set 12 reps, switching arms

E. 02 Tank Curl to Shoulder Press 2 sets 12 reps 1 tank in each hand

F. 02 Tank Fly 1 set 12 reps 1 tank in each hand

G. 02 Tank Tricept Press 1 set 12 reps each arm

H. 02 Tank ABD Curl 2 set 12 reps

I. 12 pushups

Stretch/Walk Around Block

Not a bad workout. I have been feeling very weak and short of breath (on climbing four flights of stairs carrying my equipment)lately. I went to the gymn three times this week. This morning after doing cardio for the first time in forever yesterday I could hardly lift my legs to get out of the ambulance. It has gotten better as the day goes on.

Now I am ready for Saturday night pizza.

***

No sooner did I write the above, then we got dispatched to the pizza place in town for an ABD pain. On the way back from the hospital, I got Jerk Chicken instead of pizza. I ordered the medium size, thinking it would give me some extra for lunch tomorrow, but I ate evr last bit of it. Jerk chicken with stew chicken sauce, rice and peas and salad. It was good.