Monday, February 27, 2006

Yesterday

Three calls so far today. A lady with Alzhiemers battling pnemonia, an asthmatic in a doctor's office also battling pnemonia, and another 80 year old insulin dependent diabetic with low blood sugar. My preceptee missed all his attempts again on the diabetic patient, and I managed a 24 again on a tiny vein in the patient's hand. He is depressed about missing, but I explained to him the towns where I have now worked for many years are filled with obese Jamaican and African American insulin dependent diabetics with no veins. He has been precepting a month, I have been treating these people for over ten years. I really am not concerned with his IV skills -- they will come in time. Thought-process is much more important.

I didn't tell him I missed both my IVs yesterday.