Tuesday, May 17, 2005

One Day at a Time

The morning begins as all have with the old country song "One Day at a Time" being played over a loudspeaker. We use this as our true wakeup call, ignoring the silly rooster who begins crowing at 2:00 A.M.

One Day at a time, sweet Jesus,
that's all I'm asking of you.
Teach me today, to do all the things
that I have to do.
Yesterdays gone, Sweet Jesus,
and tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord, for my sake,
teach me to take,
One day At A time.


There is no water this morning, just a dribble from the spout. Still I take a shower and am refreshed by it.

Before eating we stand in a circle and sing a song, then someone from the group says a benediction. Our breakfast and dinner is prepared by a woman named Maria. It is simple food, but delicious, often accompanied by fresh fruit -- mango, papaya, pineapple. Every time I am served, I think of something to say o Maria. This morning I tell her, "Anoche cuando dormindo tengo un gran sueno, un sueno de la comida de Maria." Last night when sleeping I have a great dream, a dream of the food of Maria."



The day is very busy. Everyone seems to be melding as a team. I love the two women I work with in pre-op -- they are good hearted. I am again doing double duty between pre-op and post op. There are more ceasarians. I try to take time to talk with the patients, try to make them feel comfotable, get them to laugh and smile.



My Spanish is getting much better.

***

At night I go with Jesus and the other Dominicans to play pool in the town. With Spanish music blaring, and a light rain, I am a lone Yankee in a pool hall of Dominicans, many wearing shirts of USA athletic teams or names of cities. I feel grateful for being able to travel the world and see what I have seen.