Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My Bad

Another 12 hours. Beautiful day. We were busy in the morning, then had about six hours without a call. I was able to stop at my house and put in a tape to catch American Idol, although my girl Nadia got voted off last week. My bad for not voting. Bought two boxes of Odwallah bars at the health food store. I like to keep a few of those in my bag, so I don't end up getting suckered into Burger King. Did a fall at a health club. I let my BLS partner tech it. I didn't think the guy was in much pain. He said his shoulder hurt. I couldn't find any deformity, but waiting with him in triage, his pain level seemed a little higher, and the way he was holding the arm, I though maybe he had a little hairline fracture or dislocation. I should have teched it and given him some morphine. I try to be very aggressive with pain relief, but I think I fell short today.

Did a lift assist, getting a three hundred fifty pound guy off the bathroom floor. I used the old, put them on a board, strap them on, then lift them to their feet, making certain to bend my knees, and use my legs as I lift up.

Last call was a lady with a fever, who was confused. She was an insulin diabetic. I went to take her blood sugar, but no glucometer in my bag. I had it there yesterday. Shame on me for not checking this morning, but we locked our car up last night and no one else took it out. Someone must have raided it. Fortunately she had her own so I checked it and it was 100., a normal reading. On the way to the hospital I gave her some fluid and she perked up. I think she had an infection.

Back for 12 more tomorrow.