Monday, April 11, 2005

The Healer

We're dispatched to a nursing home for the woman who won't open her eyes.

We find her laying on the floor next to the bed of another patient. She is a woman in her early fifties. She does not look ill. She just looks like a person laying on the floor with her eyes closed.

I pick up her hand and move it over her head and then release it about ten inches above her face. She moves the hand slowly back to her side.

We pick her up and put her on the stretcher.

The nurse hands me the paperwork. I see the woman has a psychiatric history.

The woman doesn't open her eyes or say anything until we get out in the ambulance, then once the doors are closed, she raises her head and looks around.

"Hello," I say.

"Hello."

"So what's up?"

"Nothing."

"What happened? Why were you laying on the floor not responding? And what were you doing in a another patient's room?"

"I was trying to heal him, but I guess it just took too much out of me."

"You were trying to heal him?"

"Yeah, I'm new at it, and I guess I just can't control my energy very well."

"You're new at it?"

"Yeah, I just started. I've been working on it for a couple days. Since I got here. They want me working on my self-esteem. I thought being a healer would help with it. Its hard work. Tiring."

"Evidently."

***

Did a chest pain in an Alzheimer's patient who forget that she had chest pain, and a refusal from a woman with a temporary migrane.