Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Expert

I could be an expert in a lot of things I suppose. I could be like this super hedge fund guy -- a guru who knows the ins and outs of the market. I could be a lawyer specializing in the intracacies of the tax code or maybe a wilderness guide who knows the forest like a feral animal. Instead, like many of my peers in this profession we call EMS, I am an expert in picking people up off the floor. Today we used one of my favorite moves to get a huge person up. Lay them on a board, strap them in, then with a person on each side and me at the head, I lift the board up to a standing position while they balance the patient, and a family member gets the walker or wheel chair, then we unclip the patient, they thank us, we get a refusal, and put our board and clips away. Another job well done.

Two lift assists today and an old man with pneumonia.