Sunday, December 18, 2005

One Call

Nice slow day. Spent the day writing at the computer. Did some work on the lights and sirens policy for the region.

Only one call. Came in as a diabetic.

60-year old woman laying on the bed, semi-alert, but mumbling, out of it. I went right for the IV, while I directed my partner to get vitals, and put her some 02. I know going right for the IV is not by the book, (but it is an easy way to get two tasks done -- the IV and the blood sugar check). When it is a diabetic, it seems like the most efficient use of time. All the while of course, I am asking questions of the family.

I initially am thinking pure diabetic, but I am starting to have my doubts when I feel her forehead and it is warm, and when they tell me she takes pills not insulin.

Blood sugar comes up 158.

I do the quick stroke test and don't you know, she has right sided weakness.

The problem is she was last seen walking around this morning so we are well past the three hour window.

We load her up and take her in, providing supportive care. I have the young football player with me, and I have him hold the woman's hand and talk to her all the way in.