Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Morbidly Obese

Back to work after a week hiatus-- my longest time off in over a year. Was actually able to swap shifts so I only had to take one vacation day.

How did it feel to be back at work after a week? Like I never left.

Did seven calls, including two extremely heavy patients. One morbidly obese woman -- 40 years old -- with multiple medical problems, CHF, HTN, IDDM, MI, osteomyletis, MRSA, pnemonia, having trouble breathingI just gave her some oxygen by cannula – I didn’t know what was causing her dsypnea other than being overweight and sick.

When we finally got her comfortable on the hospital bed -- it took forever, because she was so hard to manuever on the sheet -- you just could not lift her up, I asked if we could do anything more for her, she gasped, "Get me someting to eat. I'm hungry."

They ended up intubating her.